Monday, November 14, 2005







In which we become godparents to a little girl from China


(click on any image to view larger)

Her name is Yan, or "Yanyan," but her new first name is Ruth ("Roo" for short). Her parents, who are in-laws of ours by marriage, are on their way home from China, where they have been spending their first days with her.

She's just under a year old and a bit small for her cohort (size 6 to 9 months, everyone!), but sleeps all night and is delightful by day. Her adoptive father taught her how to blow a raspberry and she has already demonstrated her new skill by razzing the orphanage director.


None of us (godparents or adoptive parents) have any parenting experience, so this ought to be interesting. I think we're all still a bit shellshocked, after dreaming of this day for so long, to have it become reality. It's strange to think that families from opposite sides of the planet can recombine this way.


She comes home this week and it's impossible for me to predict how I'll feel when I hold her for the first time.

2 comments:

Impetua said...

What a cutie! I'm so happy for all of you!

We have some friends who are in the process of adopting from China -- it's a long process but well worth it!

Deb

Anonymous said...

I'm single and in the process of adopting from China! I can't wait to hold my little girl in my arms...Good luck!

Michelle C.